Manchester United released an official statement on 27 Aug that confirms Christiano Ronaldo’s club transfer agreement from Juventus.
The 36-year-old is an acclaimed five-time Ballon d’Or winner and has won over 30 major trophies during his career including five UEFA Champions League titles, four FIFA Club World Cups, seven league titles in England, Spain, and Italy, and the European Championship for his country of origin, Portugal.
A shocking return
The news has generated much fanfare, resulting in a near 7% rise in the club’s share price to US$18.47.
According to the BBC, the claimed fee for remuneration was €15 million (S$24 million) for Ronaldo upfront, with an additional €8 million added on. Ronaldo will sign a two-year contract worth 480,000 pounds (S$890,000) a week.
Order of events
How the events unfolded:
- On Thursday, Ronaldo spoke to Juventus coach Massimiliano allegri regarding his contemplation to leave Turin club ahead of the ‘Juventus series A clash’ with Football Club Empoli
- Ronaldo posted farewell message in a video to juve fans via Instagram on Friday
- Claims that Jorge mendes, ronaldo’s agent had already agreed terms with Manchester City prior surfaced
- United mentions intent on attempts to bring Ronaldo back. Bruno fernandes, united’s midfilder speaks to Ronaldo
- After several talks and deals made, announcement released on Friday, 27 Aug
In the latest announcement post on Instagram by Ronaldo “Today I depart from an amazing club, the biggest in Italy and surely one of the biggest in all of Europe. I gave my heart and soul to Juventus and I’ll always love the city of Turin until my last days. The “tifosi bianconeri” always respected me and I tried to thank that respect by fighting for them in every game, every season, every competition. In the end, we can all look back and realize that we achieved great things, not all that we wanted, but still, we wrote a pretty beautiful story together” he said.
A summary of accolades attained by Football superstar Christiano Ronaldo.
Welcome Home Ronaldo.